Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Long and Short of It

This morning started with an 8 mile run through my hometown. In order to make sure I got all my miles in, I had to do some looping around the small town.

I used to get a little nervous for my long runs. There is a daunting feeling knowing I will be running for over an hour. Last summer I wanted to build endurance, and I thought the best way would be to start running longer. My first experience with a "long run" was not good. I hadn't researched or talked to other runners enough to know that there is a science behind it all. You cannot go out running the same speed as you would for a quick couple of miles. There is a definite need for pace-setting. It is important to listen to your body as you pound the pavement.

I was feeling great this morning. I felt like my body could go on forever. I realized that in some ways I would rather run longer distances that shorter sprints. Long runs are a great time to get in touch with my body, mind, and soul. I love the freedom that running permits me. I am able to be alone and think, listen to music, or soak up my surroundings.


Short or long, I have never regretted a run. I hope you are enjoying your Easter weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment