Monday, April 2, 2012

Mom and Movies

The other night I realized I was in desperate need of some alone time. I sat in my room and listened to Lori Line piano music while writing. It was just what the doctor ordered.

“Wind Beneath My Wings” popped up on my playlist. It got me thinking about the first time I watched Beaches with my mom. I was only a few years old when the classic flick starring Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey first came out. My mom must have rented it one afternoon, and I got the pleasure of watching it along side of her. Now, I do not remember this day exactly, but I love hearing my mom retell the story. Many of you may know that Beaches is incredibly sad. There is a part when “Wind Beneath My Wings” plays as the young Victoria deals with the loss of her mother. On this afternoon years ago, my mom looked over at me during this very scene. She told me I had tears rolling down my face. My mom was surprised that I was moved by this scene at such a young age. “I didn’t even know that you understood what was going on.”

There is a part in the movie where Victoria mentions that her hands are the same as her mom’s. I realized the other day that I have my mom’s hands. Every now and again I look down at my hands and think of my mom and our afternoon movies.


No comments:

Post a Comment