Tuesday, August 28, 2012

It Ain't Easy

I found myself getting frustrated periodically throughout my Tuesday. I suppose I could place the blame on "being tired" like so many tend to do, but after a good night's sleep, I knew that wasn't it. I realized that I was disappointed with the overall attitude from my students. I wasn't taking it personally, because I know that it has been a trend throughout the classrooms; however, I still was left feeling a little down.

I really hate when people talk down about teenagers, calling them lazy and "driven by technology." I like to place them higher than that. I believe they have a right to voice their opinions and make their own decisions. After some of the actions I was seeing today, I'm began to wonder if I needed to change some of my ideas.

It was as if they were surprised that they were going to have to engage and learn something. Crazy that we would ask this of them at school, huh? I'm really not trying to complain, because I believe whole-heartedly in my students. Maybe that's why I was so bothered by their actions - or lack of actions today.


I got to thinking, am I making the lives of my students too easy? Am I pushing them to exceed beyond their own, and everyone else's, expectations? I am giving out material that I believe is at their level, but maybe I should setting the bar even higher. As students get older, their desire to learn becomes more of their responsibility. I am not able to force a student to sit down and write for me. Teachers, parents, administrators cannot hold their hand - or pencil - throughout their entire lives. I can expect that they will come to class prepared, but I cannot do the work for them. It truly is in their own hands. They have to take the initiative to get better. The hard part is motivating students, especially those that do not plan on receiving a higher education. Many of them simply don't care. While this is hard for me (and many others) to believe, it is a fact.

I am happy to say that life, well, "it ain't easy." There are going to be tasks we don't want to do, even students we don't want to teach; however, it is our privilege as teachers to continue trying to find a way to encourage and motivate, allowing each student to receive the education he or she deserves.

Keeping my fingers crossed for some energetic learners tomorrow... wishful thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment