Thursday, August 16, 2012

Ready or Not

Welp, today is the first day of school. The past three days have been spent meeting and preparing for the upcoming school year. It's been a whirl-wind, and my mind is totally fried. In fact, I fell asleep - in my bed - at 7:45 on Tuesday night. Needless to say, I was one tired teacher.

Wednesday afternoon co-workers were coming up to me asking, "Are you ready?" or "Are you nervous?" The fact is that I'm as ready as I'll ever be, and I do have feelings of nervousness every once in a while. For the most part, I am just excited. The more I did into the curriculum, the more ideas pop into my head. I see kids up and down the hallway, and I can't wait for them to seep into my classroom. It's going to be a good year.

The other English teacher and I were working through benchmarks and standards implemented by the state. It was tiring and overwhelming. I joked and told her that it takes all the fun out of teaching. Obviously, I was aware of these things prior to this week, but all of the work that is done behind the scenes of a classroom is finally hitting me. I am not lying when I say that teaching is complex and hard work. So, if you get a chance, thank a teacher.

I also realized how fast all of this is going to happen. While we do have the entire year ahead, soon I will wake up and my first year of teaching will be over. It's no secret that time flies. So, here goes nothing. Ready or not, here I come ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment