Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Worry Wart

I have a lot going on right now. Between finding a new place to live and preparing for the upcoming school year, it would be very easy to spend my days worrying until I develop and ulcer. Of course, at night I begin to really freak out and ponder all of the things on my to-do lists. I have been doing a pretty good job at giving it to God and finding enough peace to fall asleep at a decent hour.

Last night, I found myself becoming anxious and unsettled. I began to worry that there would be a sleepless night ahead. I decided to search for some comfort in my worrying. I reached for my phone and googled "worry bible." Simple enough, huh? I found this website titled "4 Reasons Not to Worry: What Does the Bible Say About Worry?" The four reasons were simple and put me at ease.

1. Worry accomplishes nothing. Worry basically is a waste of time. I remembered the old saying, "Worry is like a rocking horse. It takes up all of your time and gets you nowhere." Why should we waste time fretting about things we have little control of? Give it to God. (Matthew 6:27-29)

2. Worry is not good for you. If you spend too much time worrying, it becomes a mental burden and can even make you physically sick. (Proverbs 12:25)

3. Worrying is the opposite of trusting God. Worry replaced by Prayer equals Trust. (Matthew 6:30; Philippians 4:6-7)

4. Worrying puts your focus in the wrong direction. God has an all powerful plan for us. When we worry, we forget just how good He is. We forget that He is with us forever and always. We must remember to trust when life doesn't seem to be going our way. (Matthew 6:25; 1 Peter 5:7)

I've been working on placing my focus on God and trusting His plan. There is no need to get any worry warts; they just aren't very attractive.

No comments:

Post a Comment