Sunday, July 7, 2013

Comparison Trap

Last night, I had an interesting discussion with another girl about body image. We sat there, tearing our bodies down to each other. She didn't like that she was "soft." I explained how I wish I could "tighten up" by backside. I looked at her thinking that she was a petite, cute girl. She pointed out my muscular legs. We went through our past struggles with body image and food. It was an unexpected honest conversation. It didn't take much for either of us to open up. For some reason we didn't see each other as a threat, which was kind of cool.

When I got home, the conversation followed me. I started thinking about something I read a few years ago: "If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everybody else's, we would grab ours back" (Regina Brett). If I threw my body in a pile and saw everyone else's, I am pretty sure I wouldn't grab mine. We are always comparing ourselves to others. "If only I had her thighs." "If only I made as much money as her." "If only my hair was thick and smooth like that woman." The list could go on forever. Have you ever stopped to think what people would want of yours? What part of your body are they admiring and secretly placing on their own? Obviously, the impact of this conversation was great because I even inadvertently dreamt about it. Crazy? Maybe.

The fact is, I have struggled with body image for the greater part of my life. I have watched my weight fluctuate for a number of reasons. While I am probably at my most healthy weight, I still struggle. It is an ongoing battle that I take on each day. I have considered sharing my story in more detail because I know that so many people could relate to it; however, I am still unsure. It would be therapeutic, but also revealing, so you can see why I still have reservations about the matter.

Until then, I have been focusing on:

!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment