Friday, July 26, 2013

Money, Money, Money

I have a serious love/hate relationship with money. Over the past year or so, I have had quite a few conversations about money with family and close friends. We all agree that it is frustrating but necessary. It's not fun to deal with, talk about, or even think about; however, it must be addressed. I know that I will be provided for, but that doesn't mean that I don't stress and worry about loans, debts, and other expenses. With that said, I have learned a lot about how to handle money and budgeting. I am no expert, but there are times (not many) that I feel like I am "getting it." 

You may be wondering where this is all coming from. Well, I had a few conversations about finances over the past few days, and then I ran across an MSNBC article called "7 Money Lessons for 20-Somethings." I read through the article and found it quite helpful and interesting. 

1. New cars are a luxury for a few. Not that I had a brand new car on my brain, but it is good to know that even if you had the money for a new car, it should probably be in your savings. You may think, "But I would look so good in a 2013 Ford F-150." Well, my friend, let's look to the future.

2. Living like a college student lasts beyond college. Thank you! I thought I was the only one eating eggs for every meal (kidding, Mom... sort of). But seriously, you don't graduate with a degree and have a stable income within the first few months. I am learning that this can take years. And, honestly, this is okay. Life doesn't fall together in one day.

3. Student loans can be managed. While it may be hard to believe, there are people and programs to help make these daunting loans bearable (well, sort of).

4. Consumer debt must be handled immediately. This wasn't exactly what I wanted to read, but it's true. Any credit card debt should be taken care of.... ugh.

5. An emergency fund is not old-fashioned. Having a space with extra funds in case of an unexpected expense is smart. I have a little bit of cash stashed away, and hopefully, I can have a larger fund as I become more financially stable. It's just a good feeling to have this accessible in necessary.

6. Saving for retirement is as necessary as ever. I'm young, and it's hard to think that far down the road, but I need to. Planning ahead will only pay off in the long run (no pun intended).

7. You can reward yourself without splurging. I have found this to be very true. My splurging isn't always spending. Sometimes it's spending time with a friend. Sometimes it's going somewhere I haven't been in a while. My splurging is doing something that makes me happy, within reason. 

I realize this topic isn't that fun for a Friday, but I wanted to get it written down. It's just an important part of life. I am glad that I am learning about finances, and I am thankful for the support of my family. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment