Friday, July 12, 2013

It's a Panther State

I just got home from a mini-vacation at my best friend's place. She lives only two and a half hours away, but in the midst of life, sometimes it's difficult to chisel out the time. But boy am I glad I did. Right now, the Iowa weather couldn't be more perfect - 80s and sunny. Ugh, why do people from the midwest always talk about the weather!?! I guess I'm guilty. At any rate, it was perfect for laying out at the pool, karaoke, golfing, wineries, and grilling. Yea, we fit a lot into two days! It was so great. I'm still smiling.

As we drove around to all of our destinations, I couldn't help but notice the amount of cars with Panther license plates and decals. Obviously, there were more Hawkeye ones, but I can spot a UNI fan or alum a mile away. I suppose it's just a glorious gift I've been given. If people are wearing purple and gold, I seriously get a little happy. Am I a weirdo? Wait. Don't answer that.

It's a running "debate" that Iowans have had and will always have: Are you a Hawkeye or a Cyclone? If you grew up in my family, "Cyclone" is a curse word. Literally, my brother won't let my sister and I date ISU fans. Some may think this is strange, but he just calls it dedication. Gotta love him... but not his Iowa flag that hangs from his car on game days (that's a little much, I'd say).

So, where do the Panthers fit in? Well, that's the beauty of it. You can't hate a Panther fan. It's not like they are a huge threat to Iowa or ISU. While some tend to belittle UNI, I just say we are "small, but mighty." Plus, TC ('The Cat') is one of the best mascots around.

I could spend all day talking up UNI, but all you really need to remember is that deep down it's a Panther State. Whoop, whoop!!

No comments:

Post a Comment