Monday, July 8, 2013

Love the Unknown

I was going through my Bible yesterday evening. I love the notes that are shoved in the delicate pages. I love the doodles, various markings, and highlighted passages. These give it character; they show that it is mine. 

In the front cover I found some post-it notes with quotes from the book Blue Like Jazz. It is an account written by Donald Miller about how he revolved into a Christian. I really enjoyed reading it because of all of the "golden nuggets" I found along the way. It has actually since been made into a movie, so you should check it out!

"There are things you cannot understand, and you must learn to live with this. Not only must you learn to live with this, you must learn to enjoy this."

Wow. 

I am a planner, so I like to know everything in advance. I am a girl, so I like to analyze why someone acted a certain way or why a situation played out the way it did. Of course, I can't read minds. I don't know why bad things happen. I don't know why good things happen. God does. It's comforting, and because of this comfort, we can learn to enjoy the unknown. 

Another thought from a Bible excerpt based on Romans 8:28:

"God does work out all things - not just isolated incidents - for our good. This does not mean that all that happens to us is good. Evil is prevalent in our fallen world, but God is able to turn it around for our long-range good. Note that God is not working to make us happy, but to fulfill his purpose."

Trust. 

No comments:

Post a Comment