Sunday, July 28, 2013

Country Clubbin'

Yesterday, I was asked to play in a charity golf tournament with a couple of my girlfriends. As it turns out, someone had already paid and was unable to attend; therefore, we pretty much played for free at one of the nicest (and most difficult) courses in the area. My friends are members at the course, so they were familiar with the layout. I, on the other hand, was playing pretty blindly. While it wasn't the best I have ever played, it was a lot of fun to be doing an activity that I enjoy with a couple of great girls!

I grew up on the golf course. I remember riding alongside my dad and brother at the local country club that we have been members of for as long as I can remember. I have very found memories of summer days filled with both frustration and smiles. As I entered high school, I was a part of the golf team all four years. Some of my favorite sports memories are from my high school golf team. I remember course, weather conditions, and all the silliness that happened in the golf vans on the way home from a meet. I am very thankful to my dad for helping me appreciate the game of golf.

With all of that said, yesterday's experience at a country club was unlike any I have had. I love being from a small town, but I hate feeling like I haven't been exposed to "big city" things. If you are from a small town, you totally understand what I am saying. I get how country clubs work. Not only was I a member, but I worked at one for a few years; however, I literally got lost in the ladies locker room yesterday (embarrassing, but I just played it off like I knew what I was doing). In this particular country club, there was a separate section for men only. Yea, can you imagine what the feminists would say about that? Ha. Everything was very nice, and I was treated very well. Let's just say, I'm not used to ladies throwing around my month's salary for a caddy. If you have the money, I believe it's important to give to others in need. This charity in particular is called Amanda the Panda, which is a grief center for people in the area. I am very grateful for the gracious donations and the opportunity to have been a part of the day.

And one last thought. I laughed a little as I returned home because the local county fair is going on this weekend. So, I went from country clubbin' to figure 8 races, polo shirts to overalls, and chicken salad to funnel cake. Funny how things roll out!

No comments:

Post a Comment