Tuesday, July 30, 2013

To Be Teachable

As we get older, it's easy to think we have things figured out. If we've been working at the same job for a number of years, we may forget the importance of learning. Continuing to be teachable is a necessary tool that keeps us focused. More than anything, it helps renew our spirit.

My job is unique in the sense that I get a (mostly) fresh start each August. Each class has a different "feel" to it. The content and attitudes of the kids change each class period. There are so many factors that come into play when teaching. One thing is for sure, and that is the kids know what their job is: to learn. Isn't that why we go to school? They might not love that idea, but essentially they come with a pencil and paper to sit in class while the teacher instructs them. Obviously, each teacher and class is different, but the overall intent is the same. So, do I dare say that my students are teachable? For the most part, yes. 

Here's a better question: Am I teachable? As an adult, it's easy to think I'm right or am more knowledgeable than my students. This isn't always the case. Even when I talk to other teachers, am I open to new ideas? Am I ready to learn more in order to make myself better?

"Be willing to listen to others and be teachable. You're not right about everything…nobody is."


I hope this new school year brings about many teachable moments. Not just for my students, but for myself as well. More often than not, it's challenging, but the end result is so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment