Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Support or Judge

On my way home last night, I heard a quick devotional from Proverbs 31 Ministries. Many of their devotionals are directed toward mothers, but I often find myself adapting them to my life, or even to my students' lives. 

I was all ears last night when the woman spoke about judging others. This is a constant struggle for me, as it is for everyone. The message asked if we were judging others when we should be supporting them. Yeah, ponder that one. We poke fun of someone who just doesn't get it as when we should be helping that person. We criticize people about how they do something when we could be learning for them. We should be supporting their way. 

Obviously, we are all sinners. We are going to catch ourselves staring at someone's outfit wondering, "Did she get dressed in the dark?" The way I see it, those unhealthy thoughts can do one of two things: stay in your mind or be shared with others. Impure thoughts are bound to pop up, but what we do with them is what really matters. Those "judgey" thoughts may become topic of conversation, leading to a very toxic environment. We have a choice to support, or even help someone, or we can judge. 


I love this idea. Everyone has a history. Everyone has a story to tell. I think I have one of those faces that screams, "Tell me all your problems!!" This is not all bad, but I have found myself in some awkward situations. Last night, a girl about my age starting telling me all about her past relationships. It was very messy, and I was honored that she was comfortable enough to share with me (I had just met her). On the way home, I thought about her. I thought about what defined her as a woman, as a mother, as a wife. It's not her past. That has only made her stronger. Her past shaped her to become who she is today. It wasn't my place to judge her. I was there to listen and support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment