Thursday, July 18, 2013

Defining Happiness


Have you ever noticed that when someone is going through a difficult time people always say, "Just do what makes you happy." I'm not saying this is bad advice, but what if you don't know what it is that makes you happy? What if it feels like there's not a lot to be happy about? Heavy questions for a Thursday, huh? I promise I won't give you an assignment ;-)

I was reading an article on Greatist called "How to Find Happiness When There is Nothing to Be Happy About." It was really quite interesting, and it got me thinking about the seemingly little things in my life that make me happy. I started remembering trips with friends, sitting around the dinner table with family, and hilarious conversations that pop up when I'm teaching. All of these things make me incredibly happy. Just as it is important to be in community with others, sometimes we must learn to be happy by ourselves. I realize that people are designed to interact, but that isn't always the case.

So, what makes you happy when your all by yourself? These are the things that fill my time and make me feel productive, balanced, and smiley.

1. Running. I can't go a day without sweating. I just love it. I cannot think of a better release than an open road and my Mizunos. In more recent years, I have really grown to love fitness and creating workouts. Seriously, this is probably my greatest passion.

2. Reading. Confession: I read an entire book yesterday. I guess that's what teachers do in the summer? All I know is that reading is a wonderful escape. As soon as I pick up a good book, it's like I'm in another world. How cool is that? Plus, it makes me feel like a smartie :-)

3. Painting my nails. Go ahead and think this is ridiculous, but I feel so put-together when my nails are done. Who doesn't like to feel pretty every now and then?!? Plus, I have close to 100 colors, so I can get creative too.

4. Cleaning. So maybe it's not so much the cleaning itself, but I love the feeling of a clean and organized space. The freshness makes me enjoy the day so much more. Plus, I really can't stand clutter (OCD? Maybe).

5. Writing. Yay! This is where I am able to get my creative juices flowing. I really wish I was able to do more of it, but I suppose everyone says that about the things they enjoy.

I feel like now would be a good time to grab some fresh flowers, ice tea, and a good book. Ahh... life is good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment