Wednesday, July 17, 2013

House Hunters

I don't know why, but lately I have found myself watching House Hunters on HGTV... Like, way too much. Maybe it's because I have more time this summer? It's an easy show to turn to and have your mind drift in and out.

When I decided to go back to school, I moved in with a friend that showed me that HGTV and Law and Order: SVU are great ways to pass the time. We used to always joke about the goons that were on HGTV shows. We even talked about writing in and having them makeover the house we were living in. Do you ever wonder what a designer would do to transform the space your living in?

For some reason, I have found myself becoming overly frustrated with the people on House Hunters. It's like a recording because they all seem to say the same things.

"This would be a great place to entertain." Okay, how often do you think those people really entertain? And what does that even mean? I suppose it would be a smart idea to buy a home for the three times a year that you entertain. Yea, that's sarcasm.

"I really want an open concept." This is particularly annoying when they are looking at Victorian homes made in the early 1900s. That's not how they were built back then!!! I can't say I like feeling claustrophobic in teeny, tiny rooms, but I also don't need to see everyone I live with at all times.

"There's not a fence for (insert any dog name here)." So buy a fence and put it up?

"I'm looking for a space with a lot of character." Okay, cool, but you're probably going to have to start making some compromises. The only way to a perfect home is to custom build it yourself.

My biggest problem with the show is how rude people are. It's really not that big of a deal to paint a room, so why must they complain about the bright orange walls in the dining room? And, so you have to share a closet with your spouse. Who cares when the closet is the size of a small bedroom? Oftentimes, people are total jerks complaining about stainless steel and granite countertops. There just never seems to be enough space. I get it. This is your home, but I just want to yell at the TV sometimes.

That was quite a rant, but I've been holding it in for quite a while. Apparently I'm not the only one. Here is another blogger's opinion on the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment