Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Lone Teacher

My Saturday night was awesome! It wasn't anything over-the-top exciting, but I felt so happy. I met my parents, and we went to my school's baseball game. The boys have been doing amazing this year and have a 34-2 winning record. After last night's victory, they only need to win one more before going to state. I might be a little bias, but I would say we have a 97% chance of going all the way :-)

While it was way fun to watch the boys play well and win, it was also nice to see other teachers, parents, and students. It means a lot to me to get to know the kids outside of their schoolwork. I make a point to visit with them at the beginning of class. When doing this, they are much more "settled in" once we start the material. I also try my best to remember what they tell me. If someone has a job interview or an important test in another class, I want to check back with them to see how things are going. Their lives matter to me, and I was reminded of that last night. I can't really describe the feeling, but I just knew I was exactly where I needed to be. It was also really nice to have my parents their to share the night with. 

When I got home, I was wired. I was smiley and felt like being around people; however, that just wasn't in my cards for last night. At first, I felt a little lonely, but then I hit a wall. Ha. I was so tired because I had gotten up very early. I also haven't been sleeping well, but that's a totally other thing. 

After being around teachers and students, I felt like I was knocked back into school mode. This morning, my mind was back in gear brainstorming lesson plans and other ideas. I spent a few (cough) hours online today, searching and browsing around different teacher websites. I can't say I felt productive, but I started to think, "Am I the only teacher that does this... like all summer?" I literally haven't stopped thinking school since.... wait, I just never stopped. I guess I just need someone to tell me I'm normal. Tell me I'm not the lone teacher dreaming of school. This just tells y'all how much I love my job. 

I can't believe the weekend is over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment