Saturday, January 7, 2012

Cheers to My Girl Carrie


I’m beginning to think that Carrie Bradshaw and I are actually best friends. Carrie, do you feel the same way? I really should have a post-it and Sharpie pen with me when I sit down to watch Sex and the City episodes. There are so many great lines that should not be forgotten. I was surfing around looking for some memorable quotes from the show.

"Later that day I got to thinking about relationships. There are those that open you up to something new and exotic, those that are old and familiar, those that bring up lots of questions, those that bring you somewhere unexpected, those that bring you far from where you started, and those that bring you back. But the most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you you love, well, that's just fabulous.”

Old and familiar. The comfort of those that know us inside and out is irreplaceable. They know without explanation. Many times they know before we even know ourselves. Scary and comforting at the same time.

Those that leave us questioning. There are not many relationships that don’t leave me wondering, questioning who I am as a person, friend, sister, daughter, teacher. People that continue to keep us thinking and considering new possibilities are incredibly priceless. We have to remember to keep our minds sharp, and surround ourselves with those that keep us questioning.

Being somewhere unexpected. Some people bring our parts of us that we didn’t realize that we had. They make us hurt in places so deep. They make us become better, even stronger. Some people help us stretch to limits beyond our imagination.

Those that bring us back to where we started. It’s fun and exciting to do new things, go new places; however, there is something to be said about those that remind us who we really are. Those that help us stay grounded and close to our morals and beliefs.  

Me. This is the one relationship I can always count on; the one that I will never lose. Unfortunately, it is the one that I spend the least time on. Loving yourself is that basis for any good relationship with someone else. Carrie, you are one smart lady. 

No comments:

Post a Comment