Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Phone Challenge

I've mentioned before how much love I have for the Today Show. Even as it rolls into the fourth hour, I'm prepared to be entertained.

Hoda and Kathie Lee crack me up during "The Scoop." It's no secret that they love the booze and have no problem sharing that with the world. On today's show, they mentioned a 'phone challenge' that some people are participating in. Here's the idea: when you go out to dinner with friends, everyone places their phone in the center of the table. Whoever reaches for their phone first has to pick up the bill.

People are constantly on their phones, checking Facebook, text messaging their best friends, seeing if it's going to snow, pretending to be 'busy,' and the list goes on and on. While not being on your cell phone for a few hours seems easy, we forget how addicted we are to these devices. There is so much information right at our fingertips.


In one of my Communication classes in college, we talked about technology addition. I remember my professor suggesting that when someone is texting, emailing, or even talking on the phone while they are supposed to be paying attention to you it implies that someone/something else is more important. When I am talking to a friend and they are texting, I am likely to assume that the person on the phone matters more than what I am saying.

I am not very good at this myself. There are times that I feel like I have to get out an email before focusing on my friends across the table. Face-time is so important. Interacting with friends in social settings makes me feel revitalized, and I need this to establish balance in my life. I love the idea of this phone challenge; however, I don't see my friends and I participating. If anything, this has made me more aware of my phone usage. Can't I wait until after a conversation to check my Twitter feed?

No comments:

Post a Comment