Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Back in Business


Well after a trip to Chicago and Sandusky, Ohio, I have arrived back to the real world. Despite the heat and long car rides, it was a rewarding and successful trip full of making memories and stepping out of our comfort zones.

As I mentioned before, I was asked to be a chaperone on my sister's Youth for Christ Chicago Caravan trip. It was a great opportunity and I am so grateful to all of those that participated. Here's a little recap:

We left early Thursday morning to travel to Chicago. Along the way, we picked up other YFC groups around the state. Overall, we had 42 people caravanning in various vehicles. It didn't take long to figure out that it was kind of difficult (and stressful at times) to coordinate bathroom breaks and keep the vehicles in sight, especially as we got to the city.

Thursday night was briefly spent on Navy Pier. The heat and parking situation, partnered with a long day of driving, called for some tired, and somewhat crabby, teenagers. We were more than ready to get to the place we would call home for the upcoming nights. We drove into “the hood” (literally, that is what they call it), and the students’ (and adults’) faces were priceless as we witnessed the school that we would be staying at. The church was only a block away, but we were instructed to not leave the building without a volunteer from the church. The showers were also in another building, so we learned quickly to be patient and flexible. The worst part was the lack of airflow. The school did not have air, only small air vents in the windows of each room. It was stuffy and uncomfortable as we sprawled out on the floors to sleep.

Friday began with immersing ourselves in the church’s summer program for kids. The program includes reading, singing, praying, and various activities. The shouting kids partnered with the overwhelming heat was a lot to take in. I don’t know how people can live in such heat; I felt so tired all day long. After lunch, the kids all went to Millennium Park in downtown Chicago. Our YFC group tagged along, but at our own pace. It was really cool to spend time with my sister as we took pictures and shared frozen yogurt in the park. It was my first time at that park, and I was very impressed. 

Friday night we watched the Chicago White Sox beat the Blue Jays. While waiting in line, my back and stomach were literally dripping with sweat. Yea, I wasn’t even moving. Like I said, it was hot. However, once we got settled into our seats, spending time together, chatting and laughing, was one of my favorite parts of the trip. After the big win, fireworks wrapped up the evening. Giant ice cream cones and super nachos were devoured by the kids… all a part of experiencing America’s favorite past time.

Each night, after devotions, the kids would get together to hang out… Well, I don’t really know what they were doing, but I trust they were action on their best behavior ;-) Being the chaperone, it was nice to let them do their thing and have time alone. Usually I was too tired to know what time they went to bed. All I know is that it was far past curfew, which doesn’t bother me one bit. Gossiping, sharing, and getting to know each other is one of the best parts of these trips. As long as the little shysters were up and at ‘em in the morning, I’m all for staying up late.

Saturday morning consisted of a couple more service projects. Half of our group cleaned up trash throughout parts of the city, while the other half (my group) served breakfast at an assisted living facility. It was cool watching and hearing the stories in the room unfold. Of course, we wrapped up the morning with a few games of BINGO. We left feeling appreciated and loved.

After some much needed downtime in the afternoon, the group traveled on the “L” downtown to the infamous Michigan Ave. It was quite funny watching the “country folk” take in the busyness of the city streets. I have to admit it was a little frustrating. I really felt like I was going to lose a kid somewhere along the way; however, we all made it back to the “L” and to our living quarters in one piece. Phew!

Sunday morning brought us to a Chicago city church where it was clear we were the minority. It didn’t take much for the church members to notice that we “didn’t belong.” The funny thing about that is in a sense we all belong. In fact, we were all there for the same reason – to worship Jesus Christ. It was a great learning experience that pushed us all out of our comfort zone. After all, we don’t grow by living in our comfort zone.

The rest of Sunday was spent traveling to Sandusky, Ohio where we would stay at a KOA campground. A couple of the girls shared that this was their favorite part – the car ride were everyone got a little loopy. The giggles hit us all pretty hard as we drove East to our destination. Once arriving, there was a sense of relief. Everyone was ready for a slower pace and some relaxing. Devotions and various discussions took place. It was so much easier to get to know one another in the lax setting. And boy did it feel good to sleep in a bed with air conditioning! We had little cabins to sleep in; it was great.

Monday was spent at Cedar Point – a huge amusement park full of various rides, but their focus is mainly on rollercoasters. It was crazy! I am not a ride person, so I spent the day “playing mom” as the kids bopped from line to line to enjoy the thrill of the twists and turns. I didn’t mind one bit holding bags and watching from below. In fact, I was happy to do it.

My favorite part of the trip occurred Monday night after returning from the park. We got a group of people together to play some sand volleyball. While I was a little out of practice, it came back pretty quickly. It was so awesome to watch the different personalities and abilities come together to have fun and make memories. I wouldn’t consider the game competitive in nature; it was just plain fun.

The ride home was a long one. Tuesday consisted of a twelve-hour drive back to Iowa. The strange part was that it didn’t seem very long at all. Between various stops, snacks, naps, music, and reading, we made pretty good time getting home. I was on a high as I drove myself ‘back to reality.’ I couldn’t stop smiling as I thought about the trip, the kids, the memories we shared. What an amazing experience to have shared with my sister and her friends. While it feels great to be back in business, I am so thankful for the opportunity to mature in my faith, spend time with amazing people, and watch the kids grow as people and Christians. 

Pictures to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment