Monday, July 2, 2012

Show and Tell


Sometimes I feel like I have a little déjà vu when it comes to my blog posts, so if this is a “repeat” please excuse me. However, if I have already written about it, there is probably quite a bit of importance behind it. Anyway, I digress.

Have you notice how many people are all talk? They say they will volunteer, they want join a book club, they promise to pray for a suffering neighbor. But, do we? I’m just as guilty as the next person of talking and not doing.

I think a place where we often fall short is love. The most important part of life is caring and loving for others. Furthermore, the best way to love is to show, not tell.

One of my favorite songs is “Chasing Cars” by Snow Patrol. It talks about the complexity of sharing our feelings. How will we ever really say what we mean? How can we ever really express our love? “Those three words are said too much. They’re not enough.” It takes more than just words. It takes actions – showing love and kindness to those we encounter.

The hardest part of this is finding a way to show that love to those that we don’t know. Yes, it’s just as important to love a stranger as it is our family and friends. Think how different the world we be if we showed love, rather than just talked about it. This challenge is daunting and scary; however, it is more than important. It is vital.

When is the last time you practiced a little show, not just tell?  

No comments:

Post a Comment