Friday, July 13, 2012

Bittersweet Realization

While on my trip with the YFC group, I started feeling old. I found myself asking about certain slang sayings and terms that were tossed around among the teenagers. I didn’t realize how fast ‘hip’ jargon comes in and out of our language. They were using phrases like “those shoes are boss” and “that song is dead.” When I chimed in by saying that the latest movie I saw was “sweet,” I suddenly felt very lame.

It was the first time that I honestly felt old. I almost felt doopy in a way. I feel like I’m in that middle stage of everything. I don’t feel like I should be wearing what an eighteen-year-old sports as she heads to the movies with friends. And I surely don’t want to be seen in anything from the Von Maur women’s department (unless it’s that expensive section with all of the designer clothes). The last few times I’ve gone out, I've felt like a teacher. Ugh. I really hate this (no offense to all of my lovely fellow teachers out there). I have always been pretty conservative, but stylish. For some reason, I feel like I’ve lost this. Maybe I am just freaking out, but something has got to change… like, soon.

Or, as they say now: "This shit's cray." (That means crazy for any of you newbies)
Towards the end of the trip I realized that this sense of feeling old was not all that bad. In many respects, I felt like it was my role to “play mom.” I didn’t want to stay up late and gossip with a bunch of teenagers. How weird would that be? I suppose it would be best to just embrace my age – not too old and not too young. This bittersweet realization is something I can live with.

P.S. I just heard a couple of twelve-year-olds use the term “boss.” Yes, I’m very glad I’m not in junior high again. The twenties are where it’s at! 

No comments:

Post a Comment