Friday, July 27, 2012

Olympic Memories


I don’t know about you, but I am very glad to be welcoming the London 2012 Olympics to my television for the next couple weeks. The anticipation for tonight’s Opening Ceremonies is killing me. I wish there was a spoiler alert somewhere that I could look into. Eek!


I grew up watching the Olympics. I have fond memories of following USA athletes and tallying up gold, silver, and bronze medals as “The Star Spangled Banner” played in the background. We cheered in the comfort of our own basement in awe of the athletic abilities. The thrill of watching young athletes represent our country still gives me goosebumps. I’m not really into sporting patriotic clothing; however, I may have to throw on a flag t-shirt to show my support for Team USA.

When we were kids, my brother and I really got into the Olympics. I remember setting up our own Olympic course that was full of ice-skating and gymnastics. Our imaginations ran wild as we slipped on my dad’s worn out moccasins that somehow worked perfect as ice skates. We did cartwheels and spins, pretending we were a part of Team USA. I’m not so sure my parents were impressed as we pounced all over the furniture that made a very nice balance beam.

While I don’t plan on bouncing around my living room or swimming laps hoping to make the team, I will be watching as much as possible. I am excited to follow the star athletes and watch as upsets, defeats, and victories move athletes, coaches, and spectators to tears. I may not still live with my brother, but I know that he will only be a phone call away as we enjoy following these Olympic games. Team USA! Whoop, whoop!

No comments:

Post a Comment