Sunday, September 25, 2011

Communicate, Enunciate

While I am a girl of many talents, I was not blessed with the power to read minds.

"It takes all kinds." I understand this, and I realize that some people are much more shy than others. However, being shy does not mean cutting off communication with all human kind. I promise, it is not that hard to look someone in the eyes and tell them what you need/want/feel/believe.

Consider this scenario: I'm serving and ask a customer, "What would you like to drink?" The person points to their menu. Okay, what does that mean? Are you unable to speak?

And another: "Would you care for another drink?" The person responds with some type of grunt. What does that mean? We are not cavemen, so a simple "yes" or "no" would be sufficient.

Then there's the over-the-top communicator: I am up at the computer and the customer comes up to me to say, "I'm leaving now." Alright, thank you? I don't need a play-by-play, but have a nice weekend I guess.

Communicate, enunciate. Let's all work on this together.

No comments:

Post a Comment