Monday, September 19, 2011

Self-Disclosure


I’ve always been a fairly chatty girl. I speak my mind and talk, talk, talk. I have a lot to say and no problems saying them. I try my best not to offend or be rude to others, but I’m beginning to wonder if I sound like my freshmen boys that have a case of ‘mouth diarrhea.’

My issue comes when I say too much. There are some parts of a person’s life that should remain private… Or at least you would think. However, if I am around someone that is engaged and makes me feel comfortable, I generally just keep yapping.

I have a friend that I see every few weeks, and it never fails, our conversations always turn personal and even serious. He keeps his opinions to himself until I ask. He listens and makes me feel like I matter. The bottom line is, I trust him. It is one of the most unique and unexpected friendships I have ever had, which makes me appreciate it even more.

I suppose my sporadic self-disclosure is far from the randomness that seeps from my students’ mouths.       

No comments:

Post a Comment