Saturday, June 16, 2012

Family Friday Nights

In honor of my father (and in desperate need of some relaxation), I decided to spend this weekend at home. I was packed and ready to hit the road after I finished nannying for the week. It's funny how Fridays make people act a little different. The anticipation for the weekend is felt wherever you go on Friday afternoons. I love it. I ended up talking to my mom on the phone for the majority of my ride home, so you can just about imagine how excited I was to escape for the weekend.

I was greeted by my brother's dog, Nala. She was a little suspicious of the scents of other dogs (from my nannying family) on my running skirt. It was funny to watch her sniff around. Dogs have such a wonderful way of making you feel loved.

My brother, mom, and I went to my dad's softball game. We chatted over hot dogs and fruit cups. As the rain started to make it's way to the field, we decided to call it a night. Plus, Mike had to get home to watch the U.S. Open.

We nestled into our spots in the basement to "watch golf." I listened while my mom asked questions about golf, and my brother patiently answered most of them. It didn't take long for my dad to come home and start playing with Nala. Then, she became the center of attention. Dogs also have a way of feeling like they should always be the entertainment... goofballs.

I was feeling restless, so I mentioned playing games on the Wii. Of course, I couldn't figure out the silly controls and what buttons to push - maybe they were out of batteries? At any rate, somehow we started watching my brother's senior video from 2002. I found myself laughing and smiling as Mike's old classmates popped up on the screen. It made me wish that I stayed in better touch with my classmates. High school in a small town is hard to explain to those that haven't experienced it. There is an understanding like none other. It's like you forever have the back of your classmates. I think it's so cool. It was fun to talk about what those people are doing now. So much time has gone by, and people are constantly changing.

After the conclusion of the video, my sister had gotten home from work. We sat on the kitchen counters  and talked about recent trip to her freshmen orientation. It is so exciting to hear about classes and thoughts about next year. You can tell she is growing up, and it's just so amazing.

I had a great time with my family last night. I passed out on the couch as we tried to watch Despicable Me. I'm ready for a weekend of downtime and golf :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment