Monday, June 11, 2012

Regrets

The other day someone asked me if I had any regrets in my life. I could tell something had happened in this person's life and was looking for some affirmation. I wasn't really expecting the question, so I hesitated a bit. I respected this person's needing to talk, so I played along with the conversation.

I couldn't stop thinking about the conversation and the thought of regrets. I have been asked these 'million dollar' questions time and time again. Where do you see yourself in five years? What has been your greatest obstacle? What is your greatest fault? We learn how to 'correctly' answer these complex questions by way of job interviews and college professors. However, we forget that with questions such as these there are no right answers. Would you rather tell someone what they want to hear, or be honest? I choose honesty, and it has always worked.

After contemplating my past, how it has shaped me as a person, and where I am now, I know I cannot change any of it. I cannot undo decisions and the paths that I was led down. So, I choose not to mull over them. I don't want to live in the past. I deserve to look forward and live for today.

As you can tell, I am dancing around the questions: Do you have any regrets in your life? My answer: Yes. A big, fat YES! Of course I would change things. There are a few big things in particular that I still kick myself for - I still wonder what might have been. There are millions of situations and conversations that haunt me.

With that being said, I am not an unhappy person. I have accepted by past. It has molded me into the person I am today. I am stronger, smarter, and more confident because of my past "regrets."

No comments:

Post a Comment