Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Scents of Summer

The boys and I walked in the house after hitting some golf balls out on the driving range. I was feeling energized from the sun and the giant Diet Dr. Pepper that I had been sipping on. Smiling ear to ear, I realized it finally really felt like summer.

Then we got the comment, "You guys smell like outside." Um, thank you? What exactly does that smell like? Dirty boys? Great. 

I began thinking about the scents of summer. There is the fresh cut grass and early morning dew. It reminds me of my dad coming in from an early morning round at the Country Club. There was always a mist of perspiration on his tanned arms as he reported his daily score. We could tell within seconds if his round consisted of birdies or boogies. 

Of course, there is the pool smell. Chlorine mixed with sugary smells coming from the concession stand let us know that it's time to bust out our crawl strokes. Sunblock and baby oil placed are around the pool deck as lifeguards blow their whistles at the little rascals playing tag and throwing one another in the deep end. The little feet of kids dangle from the picnic benches as they munch on Charleston Chews and Sno Cones. Their burnt bodies will hop on their bikes to rush home when the pool closes. 

One of my favorite summer scents exists on the softball field. There is something about the mixture of dirt and sweat that screams hot summer nights. While I didn't play softball in high school, I was always a part of the culture. My brother was in love with catching behind the plate, and my dad has been a life-long coach and umpire. I was always there to sing along to "Put Me in Coach" while I chomped on my Laffy-Taffy. 

Then, of course, there is the country fair smell. Growing up in a small town, I was all too familiar with Sasparillas and homemade ice cream. We would be sure to get a funnel cake as we stood in lines for the ferris wheel and skeet ball. The entire week we would stay until the gates closed. We went home with filthy feet and sweaty brows. It was all a part of the experience, and I wouldn't change a thing.

Between boating and ice cold beverages, the scents of summer are enough to make anyone smile. They represent a carefree freedom that can be found nowhere else. I am ready to stop and soak in all of the memories this summer has to offer :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment