Sunday, June 3, 2012

Smiles Across the Finish


Well, I did it! Yesterday I completed my first 20K in style as I smiled my way across the finish line. It was such an awesome experience, that I’m so glad to have shared with 8,000 of my fellow runners.

The day started out very early - 4:15 in the morning to be exact. I had to meet some friends before getting on a bus that took us to the starting point. Katherine told me it was her favorite part – watching so many different people climb into buses to share this experience. In the darkness of the early morning, I was full of anticipation; however, I still was unable to process just what I was getting myself into.

We had to “hurry up to wait” before our 7:00 start time. It was a time to share running stories and bump into friends I haven’t seen in a while. Of course, everyone was sure to make a stop at the port-a-potties :-) My friends had ran Dam to Dam before, so they were filling me in on all of the details of the course. I asked for advice for during the race. This is what I got:

Take it mile by mile. It’s better to focus on each mile as they come. It can get quite overwhelming if you count down or think about how many miles are left. I just wanted to attack mile 1, mile 2, and so on.

Savor the experience. I am learning that more and more it is important to stop and look around in all aspects of life. There is so much happening to be thankful for, to be learning, to be soaking in. Watching all of the supporters on the side of the road, the bands pumping out music, the crazy costumes of people handing out water – it was all so amazing. I literally found myself smiling quite often. It was also cool to read the signs of family members along side the road. My favorite was just the simple “We’re proud of you!” People are incredible.

Run your own run. It's easy to get caught up in the speed of those around you. Runners will pass, and it's tempting to sprint forward. As the saying goes, "It's a (half) marathon, not a sprint." I just focused on my own pace, my own feet. 

Lastly, what I have learned from the experience: don’t be afraid to be proud of yourself. At the finish line, I was full of emotions. I had so much fun – smiling ear to ear as music and cheering from hundreds of people encouraged you to push yourself to the end. I signed up months ago, spent time working on my long runs, and I did it! I feel great about my accomplishment. I am so proud of each runner that participated yesterday. I am grateful to everyone that had a hand in the day – it was so cool.

Yesterday afternoon was spent celebrating on some outdoor patios downtown. While this was a lot of fun, I had a headache and my body was very sore, so I called it an early night. After ten hours of sleep, I am still feeling a little shaky. It is a good feeling; however, I am definitely going to be spending today recovering before another week.

All in all, I am one happy runner this morning! Off to church to give thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment