Thursday, June 28, 2012

Kids Are So Cool

Yesterday, I was watching the boys play in the pool. It was a hot Iowa day, making it a definite pool day. I'm not going to lie, they were kind of being little stinkers. It's hard to tell if they are playing or picking on each other. Must be yet another 'boy thing' that I will never quite understand.

Earlier in the day, the youngest one helped me make chocolate chip bars. It was pretty cool watching him try and figure out the measurements and beg to lick the beaters. At one point, he started reaching for a spoon to slang a heaping lump of cookie dough. Not on my watch ;-) He was so proud of the results as we took the 'blondies' out of the oven. He asked the others if they liked the bars he made. Of course, they were a big hit.

I then listened to him chat with my mom on the phone about the book he is reading and the birthday party he will be having soon. I was smiling as I heard the excitement in his voice. It was one of those moments when you realize how cool kids really are. The mixture of innocence and surprising bits of random knowledge is fun to witness on a daily basis. Honestly, I'm surprised at how much I learn every day. They are smart little boogers when it comes to animals. It's fun getting to know them individually. I also hope they are learning a little bit from me too :-)

When you are about to throw a head of lettuce at the screaming kid at the grocery store, just remember that kids really are so cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment