Saturday, May 26, 2012

Molly Girl


Last night my family said a final farewell to one of our own. We had our Carin Terrier for nearly 17 years. Molly was more than just our dog; she was our friend and companion. Whenever I went home, I could count on her greeting me with bark and wag of her sweet little tail.

When my sister was just learning to walk, my family decided on a puppy. Our family friends were breeding Carin Terriers, so we went out to pick our new friend. Molly was the runt, and with the cutest little under-bite, my family got a ‘deal’ on her. From the moment we brought her home, she was loved.

I loved how she resembled Toto from Wizard of Oz, and of course, Sarah used this to her advantage by being Dorothy for Halloween. I wish I could remember where the name Molly came from… I’m sure my brother knows. However, I do know that her middle name – Frasier – is after Tommy Frasier who once played college football for Nebraska. We had to compromise a little for the sports fanatics in my family.



I know everyone says this about their pets, but Molly was the best dog. She was friendly, didn’t shed, rarely barked, and was always ready to be pet on her belly. My dad spoiled her, and I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. We would joke about her being ‘such a stupid’ dog, but deep down we loved her so much.

Molly’s final weeks were rough. She wasn’t eating – not even Cheerios, which was her favorite people food. I would feed her bread when I went home, because that was all she would consume. She was frail and unable to walk. It really was time for her to go. I am not sure what it will be like when I go home. She won’t be there to lounge on the floor with; she won’t be there to pet her belly. I will forever miss her presence in our home. 

One of my favorite memories of Molly was when my dad came home with a marshmallow gun. Who really knows why he bought it, but it was pretty fun to shoot mallows around the house. As we would shoot each other, Molly would run and eat ‘em up before we had a chance to blink. She made us all smile.

My family lost a piece of us this weekend. We love you, Molly girl.

1 comment:

  1. Aw Anna, so sorry to hear about Molly. What I most remember about Molly was your dad always saying "sick her, Molly" every time we would come over to visit. :) Love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete