Monday, May 21, 2012

Simply Support

My family survived graduation weekend. Of course, Sarah cried like an emotional wreck after the ceremony. My mom directed the kitchen helpers, while Dad scooted chairs around and assured the dogs were in their proper places. The entire day went off without a hitch. And, most importantly, Sarah graduated with honors. Yes, I'm one proud sister :-)


At the end of the night, my parents and I sat down to reflect on the day and share stories from friends and family. My mom mentioned that there were only a handful of people on the guest list that didn't attend. We had family friends from all across Iowa and even Minnesota travel to share their support. Sarah had old friends from camp, and an uncountable amount of teenagers bop in and out of our house. Old teachers and friends in the community gathered to congratulate my sister. It was so cool. 

I realized that my family has an incredible support system. The community that I was raised in is full of people that care and support each other. As I sat at commencement, I looked around, realizing how great the high school I graduated from really is. When comparing it to other schools, the resources, teachers, and student body exceed much beyond many other small Iowa schools. The truth is, they we have a lot to be proud of. I hope Sarah really recognizes the amazing experience she has been a part of.

I was also humbled by the amount of people that expressed their congratulations to me as I embark on my first year of teaching. I have grown up in a world full of teachers, and they all had smiles on their faces as we talked about teaching and the rewards that come from the amazing profession. It was heartwarming to be in the mix of so many incredible people. 

This was not hard to do yesterday... I am feeling very blessed :-)

The support of friends and family is simply the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment