Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A Slice of Humility


Not all days are good days. Recently I was re-reading one of my favorite books, God Never Blinks, and I was reminded that we never have bad days, only bad moments. Of course, this doesn’t make theses hard moments any easier.

We tend to search for answers to the bad moments. Why is this happening to me? Is this a sign? What should I do next? It almost feels like we are punished when things are going too well; however this is not true. Each bad moment happens for a reason. Every imperfect situation drives us to where we need to go next.

The speaker at my sister’s graduation talked about her husband’s health issues. She realized after his recovery that she was given a ‘slice of humility’ to ground her – help her appreciate the blessings in life. Sometimes we get comfortable with a life that seems to be heading in the right direction. These bad moments remind us that we are not in control. Our lives are planned out, and we need to continue to take the next right step. We also need to be grateful for the slices of humility that we are given, for they are just as important as the good times in life.

I’m enjoying a slice of humility right now in my life. I’m savoring it as I wait for the next blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment