Sunday, May 27, 2012

What Am I Doing?


I’ve been ‘preparing’ for next school year. I use that term very loosely, as I really am still a little bit lost at where to start. Much of the preparing is simply in my head. I’m still wrapping my mind around what I will be teaching, where I will be living, what the kids, staff, and community will be like, and the list goes on.

As I ponder all of these thoughts, this one seems to pop in my mind quite a bit: “What am I doing?” Sometimes it’s hard to picture myself in my school, standing in front of my students, teaching. I know I want to put my own stamp on my classroom, but I’m unsure of what that really is; therefore, I’ve found myself second guessing every once in a while.

Luckily, I have a few people that I turn to for some encouraging words. My mom is always there to listen and add in comments and her thoughts on the situation. She is always there, no matter if I’m having a problem or just want to chat. Always.

My best friend, Katherine, has been an amazing support and resource during the past few months. She is a teacher and ‘gets’ my situation because she was in a similar one when she began teaching. I’ve mentioned before how good she is at telling me what I need to hear, when I need to hear it. She’s an incredible person and friend.

My dad has been my logic throughout this whole transition. He understands the teacher lifestyle and is practical when he offers advice. When I pose the question: “What am I doing, Dad?” He simply says, “This is what you need to be doing. This is good for you.” I instantly feel better – right back on track.



No comments:

Post a Comment