Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Life of a French Poet


I’m pretty notorious for my restless behavior that turns into mindless “errands” around town. Many times I don’t need anything or even buy anything. I simply like to get out and see what is going on.

Well, apparently there is a name for this “wandering around without a purpose.” Bumbling. While this sounds a little silly, I kind of enjoy it. Bumblers slow down their tempo and soak in the day one moment at a time. They are not obsessed with busyness and being places at certain times. Instead, bumblers make an effort to take it slow.

In the 19th century, French poets would partake in bumbling in order to slow down their thoughts. They called themselves flaneurs. Aimlessly strolling through the streets was a way to experience the city.



It is important to take each moment as it comes. Then we can worry less, and enjoy more. So next time I get poked fun of for running too many “errands” and bumbling around, I will say that I am just living the life of a famous French poet. Cia la vie! 

No comments:

Post a Comment