Friday, July 1, 2011

Knee High by the Fourth of July


I have lived in Iowa my whole life. As Journey would say, “I’m just a small town girl, living in a lonely world.” There are many misconceptions about small towns in the Midwest.

For instance, I don’t drive a tractor. Have I sat in one? You bet I have! Do I love Kenny Chesney’s tune, “She Thinks My Tractor’s Sexy”? Well, duh!! But, I’m proud to say that I zip around in a Chevy Malibu.

Also, we are not cut off from the latest trends. In other words, we get it. It’s not like we sew our clothes and cook beans over a fire at night. (Sounds kinda fun though).

We have nearly the same exposure to media, products, etc. I’m not saying that everything is at our dispense. The local yokel grocery store does generally carry light chocolate soy milk, but we also don’t drink it straight from a cow’s utter. Come on now. 

There are a few great things about small town life. First of all, people smile. They wave, and acknowledge your existence. It’s nice to feel like your presence matters.

Slow summers cannot be beat. Free reading while lying in the sun. Bike riding. Late night softball games. Catching fireflies. Staying out until after dark with the neighbor kids. Yes, these things really happen, and they are amazing.

It’s hard to believe that it’s already July. So I will ask you one question: Will the corn be knee high by the fourth of July??


 (Programming note: I will be out of town for the weekend with my friend Ashley. So excited to go boating in South Dakota... should be an adventure!)

1 comment: