Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Chill Factor

I spent another weekend playing bartender/server. I forget how much I enjoy the busyness and socializing that comes along with the "bar scene." I like being up on my feet, bee-boppin' around :-)

Towards the end of last night, I stopped; I looked around at my surroundings. All I concluded from that is: people are unique. Everyone has different styles, needs, desires, and the list goes on. We are all special, but there is one for sure trait that we have in common: impatience. Holy cow. No, you won't fall over if you don't get a beverage within 2.6 seconds. No, you will not die of malnutrition if you don't receive your breaded tenderloin and fries. And, yes, if our host tells you that all the tables are full, it is not an evil joke. So don't bother searching around the restaurant to find your own spot. Chill.

Every once in a while, I need to be reminded to chill. Not just in the line at the grocery store, but with people. It makes me crabby and not fun to be around. I can get worked up about small things, or I can learn to chill. Last night I mentioned to another server, "I hate it when people get upset about things I can't control." The fact is, we don't know what is next. We have to learn to chill, go with the flow, and be patient.

When I seek guidance from my mom about something bothering me, often times her first words are: "Anna, first off, you need to chill," or "Some of that is just learning to chill." I got it Mom. Sometimes it just takes a little bit more time to figure out the chill factor.

No comments:

Post a Comment