Thursday, October 20, 2011

Grammar Sucks

Normally I pride myself in using correct grammar. I have a pretty good ear for word usage errors. When it comes to writing, I "auto-correct" as I go and rarely edit. Of course, this leads to careless and embarrassing errors. Maybe some day I will practice what I preach to my students... oops!

As I began teaching simple and complex sentences to the freshmen during my first eight weeks of student teaching, I realized I needed to brush up on the fundamentals of the English language. While I know how to use correct sentences, that does not mean I remember what they are called. So, introducing....


...my saving grace. I plan on spending some quality time with this puppy. One of my teaching mentors suggested this for me. The author, Joanne Kimes, has a list of "sucks" books that are actually quite interesting and humorous. As I thumb through it, I think it will be a useful tool for my students and me. Whoohoo!

For all of you that think I'm crazy for getting so excited about grammar, consider this:


Grammar does anything but suck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment