Monday, October 10, 2011

Lighten it Up


Have you even been around someone that constantly makes situations “heavy?” The kind of person you can’t bring to a party because they will start talking about how WWII has affected our economy. Picture this: everyone is chatting, laughing, and chomping on taco dip and this person starts talking about nuclear warfare. Ever seen the SLN skit that features Debbie Downer?

I was walking around school this week and overheard a conversation between two students (they think teachers can’t hear them, but they are so wrong). One student was explaining why she wears a cross necklace. She went on to say she “doesn’t care what anyone thinks.” My thoughts? Good for you, but was anyone asking? I’m not trying to sound insensitive, but I have a feeling this could have been a case of TMI (too much information). I am a proud Christian, but I don’t need to be defending my religion as I stand by the water fountain on a Friday afternoon.

There is a time and place for “heavy” discussions, and this just wasn’t it. If only I could have screamed, “Lighten it up sista!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment