Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Formatting Faux Pas


The past few days I have spent a significant amount of time grading papers. I actually stopped at a mirror to make sure my eyes were not bleeding. Thankfully, they are still placed neatly in their sockets.

I am grading 7th and 8th grade personal narratives and essays. I realize that not everyone likes to write, nor is everyone a particularly good writer. I am also aware that it takes all kinds, meaning I can forgive a few sporadic comma errors. 

I learn more about myself as a writer, as well as a teacher, each time I grade. Understanding that writing does not come easy to all students is essential when it comes to teaching and grading. Each student has his or her own strengths that should be recognized.

With all of that being said, I have a hard time letting go of a few writing elements. Of course, word usage is a biggie for me; however, it’s the formatting that drives me bonkers. I have been surprised at what some students have not been exposed to. I just find it hard to believe that people don’t know how to double-space. Kids want to boldface and italicize the strangest words. Apparently WRITING IN ALL CAPS means something special? Personally, I feel like they are yelling at me.

I understand that no one is perfect, but I also understand when a paper looks all jacked up. When there are random spaces and fonts all over the page, I have a hard time taking that writer serious. I’m sure I’ve made errors, perhaps even on this blog. I really don’t want to eat my own words, so I will do my best to refrain for any formatting faux pas.

No comments:

Post a Comment