Thursday, December 29, 2011

What's My Age Again?

I decided yesterday that I am changing my age. I feel much more like a 24-year-old; therefore, that is my new age. Do you suppose that I can go to the courthouse to change it just like a new name?

As my head hit the pillow after a long night of serving, I started thinking about people's sensitivities to their age. Those that are old wish to be young, and vice versa. As a server, if someone appears to be younger than 30, it is my job to card those ordering alcohol. You would be surprised at how many people get worked up over this. "Are you really going to card me?" or "Ah, come on. Really?" Um... yeah. The stupid part is that those that make a big deal of it are generally younger than me. Sorry, but if you were born in 1985, then I will ask to see your I.D. Get over yourself; you aren't that cool.

On the flip side, sometimes they thank me for suggesting they look so young. You're welcome. Just doing my job.

Then there's the issue of "acting your age." Working in a sports bar showcases all types of actions. A lot of times I wonder if people leave their manners at the door. I realize that some people can't handle their alcohol, but that is no excuse to act like a complete child. There is no reason to make a huge mess, wrestle (yes, I've seen this done), or yell across the bar. It's embarrassing. I just have one question for these people: What's your age again?

No comments:

Post a Comment