Sunday, December 18, 2011

Such an Idiom

There are so many different literary terms. Personification, mood, simile, euphony, and the list goes on for days. For most people, these terms enter and exit their lives each day without even recognizing them; however, as an English teacher, they are constantly on my brain.

The other evening, I was watching Wheel of Fortune. I love this show because I am quite capable of solving the puzzles in a quick fashion. I try not to get too cocky, but I'm pretty sure it's a gift. Doing word puzzles is my cup of tea.

Did you catch it? Spotting idioms can make me feel like such an idiot.

Idioms: common phrases or terms whose meanings are not literal, but are figurative and only known through their common uses.

The other day, my students were trying to figure out what "cream of the crop" meant. Of course it means the best or elite, but how were they supposed to know that? How did I know that? These sneaky little sayings come from all over; we learn their meanings through using and hearing them every day. Their origins are interesting. These phrases add interest and excitement to the normal day to day speech and writing.

In fact, it could be cool to incorporate them into a mini writing assignment (my wheels are turning this morning). I'm sure the students would have a field day with such an assignment. They might even ask if they can turn in a baker's dozen of them. I will probably be head of heels for their accomplishments. Wouldn't that be the icing on the cake.

Are you annoyed yet? I can be such an idiom, but I can't help myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment