Saturday, December 17, 2011

High Five Time

I am lucky to be living in a community that has miles upon miles of trails that are perfect for running, biking, dog-walking, and rollerblading. Some of the trails sneak around a few small lakes, while others sporadically pop up in town.

A few years ago, I was running around a couple of smaller lakes. I like this spot because there are almost always men fishing and couples walking their dogs. It was a warmer, summer morning. As I jogged, I was approaching another runner. Like always, I was preparing myself for a quick wave and “good morning” as we passed. This time was a little different. The runner offered me a high five. Of course, I accepted; however, I was a little taken aback.


Ever since that day, I have been mildly obsessed with the idea of ‘exercising high fives.' Sometimes when I’m running beside someone on the treadmills at the gym, I envision giving them a quick high five or even a little shout out. Then I realize how strange it would be if I blurted out, “Keep it up!” or “Great form!”

Just the other day at school, the P.E. teacher gave me a high five. This may not seem like that big of a deal, except how often do you really get a high five? Does your boss offer you one at the end of a long workday? Do you get a high five after purchasing a new pair of jeans at the Buckle?

Can you imagine? “Thanks for shopping with us!” (Insert high five).

The bottom line is, I like 'em. It’s high time we present others with more high fives.

No comments:

Post a Comment