Monday, December 19, 2011

Once a Reader, Always a Reader

Now that I have some time off, I'm having a hard time filling it. Free time makes me anxious; I find myself wandering around cleaning, running errands, and thinking way too much. Although, I must say I do feel much better after deep cleaning my room (I actually scrubbed the baseboards and walls... Mom would be proud). Needless to say, a trip to the library was in order. I found a book that I just can't put down.


The Paris Wife is about Hadley Richardson, the wife of the extremely talented and well-known Ernest Hemingway. It is set in the 1920s, and the couple travels from Chicago to Paris. They run with a circle of the most elite writers, Ezra Pound and Gertrude Stein. I am infatuated with their lifestyle and relationship. This is my favorite time period to read about; the jazz age, prohibition, and female rights. It just always tends to spark my interest.

This morning, I got to thinking about my "reading history." I can still remember my very first chapter book that I read in first grade. Judy Blume's Freckle Juice.


I remember feeling so cool as I flipped through the pages of the chapters. The most exciting part was that I finally needed a bookmark :-)

Since then, I have been reading, reading, reading. I love the sense of accomplishment as I close back cover. I love the gained knowledge and being wrapped up in someone else's adventure. Books have so much to offer everyone.

I'm sure I will be completing yet another book in the next few days. Like they say, once a reader, always a reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment