Tuesday, December 6, 2011

I Got It From My Mama


 Every once in a while, my best friend says to me, “Wow, you really sounded like your mom just now.” Oh man. What does that mean? Usually it’s the tone of my voice or some corny saying. It may even be something as simple as an unplanned laugh. If something corky or silly comes out of my mouth, I’ll just say, “I got it from my mama.”

I absolutely love this picture. Three smiling gals :-)

In high school, this would have been the most embarrassing comment. I mean, no teenager wants to be associated with her mom. “Like, OMG, she is such a dork.”

As I set off for college, Mom was still a little dorky; however, she quickly became my best place to vent. If my professor ticked me off or I was feeling homesick, my mom was on speed-dial. Dare I say, she was slowly becoming a friend?

My mom is the easiest person to talk to; she is the easier person to yell at. She is not offended when I simply say, “I don’t feel like talking right now.” Mom just says she loves me and we hang up the phone (of course, I call back within an hour ready to chat). When decisions get tough or I need advice, my mom is by my side.

When I decided to follow my heart and my parents’ footsteps into the teaching profession, our friendship added another dimension. We are now able to “teacher-talk” until we are blue in the face. This is slowly becoming my favorite part of our relationship.

Now when I hear that I sound like my mom, I grin a little. Mostly, because I know it is true. I catch myself saying things to my students and even my younger sister that would have come straight from my mom’s mouth. Yes, it’s true. I got it from my mama. Love you, Mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment