Monday, December 5, 2011

Win 'Em Over

I know this may be hard to believe, but sometimes it takes quite a bit of work to get junior high and high school students excited about learning vocabulary, examining literature, or reading in general. Sometimes it's like pulling teeth trying to generate discussion. I just don't understand why all kids don't want to talk about symbolism and irony in The Great Gatsby.

I've been trying to come up with ways to "win over" my students. Of course, there is always bribery. I just don't like dangling Tootsie Rolls in front of their faces in order to get someone to give me a definition of personification. Shouldn't they just want to help me out? Shouldn't they feel a little bad for me when I'm standing in front of the class patiently waiting for some poor soul to raise his or her hand? But, they don't. They would rather have the Tootsie Roll. Lame.

I also try to figure out their interests. I don't care who you talk to, Justin Bieber is still cool in junior high, at least with the girls. I've read the Twilight Saga, so I'm good with that. Overall, I know what is going on in most sports. I watch the news; I love movies. Geez, I'm cool. Shouldn't they just appreciate that?

Here's how I really got my "in:" glitter shoes. Yep, the day I came to school with my silver Steve Madden flats was the day their mouths dropped. Then, I really took over when I wore my glitter Chuck Taylors.



Now my students are asking me to wear these babies. See guys, I really am cool. I'm winning these kids over one pair of shoes at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment