Friday, December 9, 2011

You're Special


Everyone is unique. Everyone has a story to tell. We are all special in our own way.


My mom has always made it a point to let us know how special we are. It didn't take me long to realize that she got this from her dad. Every time I leave my grandpa’s house, I receive a big, warm hug along with the comforting words, “You’re special.”

I started writing the reflection for my final student teaching experience, and all I could think about was how each student has a unique quality; each student adds a new dimension to the classroom. It is easy to allow someone to annoy us, and as humans we are quick to judge. The moment I find out people's stories or learn about their new interests, they appear different in my eyes. I usually have a newfound compassion for those people.

My mom does an excellent job of making her students feel special, and I aspire to do the same. I want my students to leave my classroom feeling good about themselves; I want them to feel special.

Just in case no one has told you today, you’re special. 

No comments:

Post a Comment