Friday, December 16, 2011

Wisdom from the Greatest


It’s always nice to feel appreciated. As I mentioned, yesterday was my last day student teaching with the junior high kids. When I arrived at school, the teacher’s lounge was full of goodies and a note wishing me luck as I continue on my teaching journey. Sure, I’ll have some M&Ms and cheese dip :-)

My cooperating teacher does a very good job at making people feel special. She bakes cupcakes for the students on their birthday (unbelievable, I know). Knowing this, I wasn’t surprised to find a nice gift and kind words on my desk next to my freshly graded papers.

I was touched to see a little booklet nicely bound with the words “Advice for a Junior High Teacher” from junior high students. Each of my students had written out on a note card any piece of advice they believe I would need to be a good junior high teacher.


Here were some of my favorites:

Be kind and respectful. Everyone needs to be reminded of these important traits.

Make schoolwork seem fun. While this can be a challenge, it’s worth the extra effort.

Be patient. I was surprised at how many students mentioned the importance of being patient in lessons, as well as when communicating with them. Everyone learns and communicates at different speeds.

Don’t give a lot of homework. Sorry buddy, but that’s life.

Discipline the ‘naughty ones’ but be fun too. Yes, teaching is about finding a balance.

Have students move around and talk. Junior high students like to socialize; it is important to allow for this in lessons.

Just have fun. Enough said.

This booklet full of advice will travel with me to my next adventure. After all, this wisdom is coming from the greatest little dudes around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment