Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I'll Do It Myself

Part of growing up is learning how to do things on your own. While it may be scary at first, self-reliance is indispensable. Remember the first time without training wheels? Or driving alone in the car at the ripe age of sixteen? Those jerky turns only got smoother with time and practice.

When I was a youngster, I wanted to do it myself. According to my mom’s memory, I thought I was really good at doing my own hair… at the age of 6. I don’t even want to know how many ponytails and ribbons were in my hair when I headed into my first grade classroom. My mom actually apologized to my teacher for my miss-matched style. It’s a good thing my parents are patient, because I wanted to do it myself.

My sister had a similar attitude towards a red Old Navy Performance Fleece. You may remember this catchy commercial…


Well Sarah wore that silly thing every day. And when I say every, I mean every. Mom had to wash it at night while the little one was sleeping. And don’t worry, that fleece completed Sarah's school picture outfit that year too. Eventually she grew out of it, and we bought her a red Old Navy Performance Vest. What a little goober :-)

I’m glad my parents picked their battles with us, because sometimes it’s important that we do it ourselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment