Tuesday, August 16, 2011

It's Complicated


Yesterday marked my first official day of student teaching. Yippee! The first couple of days are filled with meetings and hours of teacher talk. I’m sure my brain will be completely fried by the end of the week. But, I’m not scared… bring it!

While there is a lot of information that comes and goes when learning a new job, every once and a while words stick. I’m a “word person,” so this happens quite often to me. My mom taught me the importance of writing everything down, so I was sure to have a paper and pen handy.

So, what did I hear? The principal showed this Calvin and Hobbes comic strip:



He followed up by saying, “We should be complicating the lives of our students.”

Can I just be the first to say, I… Love… This… Statement… Our job as teachers is to make the students think so hard their brains pop out of their heads (maybe a little graphic). They should go home contemplating thoughts heard in class and passages from books. Teenagers may already feel complicated, but my job as a teacher is to stir this up even more. Watch out, guys. Life is going to get really complicated from here on out. Ready, set, go!

No comments:

Post a Comment