Monday, August 22, 2011

Three's a Crowd


Too many hands in the cookie jar. Too many cooks in the kitchen. While collaboration is necessary in life, sometimes it is just too much. People bouncing ideas off of one another can be great for brainstorming, but what happens when it is decision time? I will tell you what happens. Feelings get in the way. No one wants to step on anyone else’s toes. We want to try and incorporate all of the good ideas, when the fact is, we can’t.

So what happens to the good ideas that get thrown out the window? Are they all sent to good idea land to play with one another? If so, I would like a ticket to that place.

Individual decision-making is difficult for me. It can be deciding between Fareway and Hyvee or how I want to spend my paycheck. I’ve never learned to “go with the flow.” Therefore, I ponder and ponder and ponder.

However, when decision-making involves others I decide fast. It drives me nuts people don’t just figure it out and move on. We don’t need to contemplate for 45 minutes where we are going to eat on a Saturday night. Because, in reality, it doesn’t even matter. Or during meeting, I don’t find it necessary to hear everyone’s two cents on every issue. Some people just need to lock it up. (Was that harsh?)

On our trip to Chicago, Ashley shared that she believes “three’s a crowd.” After thinking this through, she could not be more right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment