Wednesday, August 24, 2011

You've Been Grammar Punked


I’m not trying to be a grammar witch, but sometimes I just don’t understand why English is so difficult for some people. I get that the difference between “further” and “farther” can be a little hard to distinguish. I also know that comma usage gets sticky in some circumstances. But there are a few things everyone should understand about grammar and writing.   

1. There is a time and place for “slang” and “jargon” writing. I’m sorry, but “ur” in a paper/email/assignment is just not going to fly. This is not facebook or a text message you are sending your “baby girl.” Figure out how to filter shorthand, emoticons, lingo, and abbreviations. Consider your audience.

2. Use (and be smart about) your resources. Spell check and other writing tools are designed for a reason… to be used. Researching and figuring out the proper usages of words is easier than ever. The internet is literally in our back pocket. Use it.

3. Consider how you sound. I hope I’m not the only one that doesn’t like to sound like an idiot when I speak and write. I know that I make mistakes, but I try to be conscious of my writing and speaking skills. Have you ever heard someone that sounds like they went to school in a barn? Strive to not be like that.

Last, but not least, “irregardless” is not a word. It’s “regardless.” Thank you.

Now you have all been grammar punked. Have a nice day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment